Library History


Sallie Logan

Sallie Logan


The Public Library in Murphysboro was established in 1925 as a project of the Murphysboro Woman’s Club. At her death in 1936, Sarah “Sallie” Oliver Logan, wife of Thomas Logan and sister-in-law of General John A. Logan, bequeathed to the City of Murphysboro her brick residence located at 1808 Walnut and four lots. The gift was accepted by the city and the Sallie Logan Public Library opened at this location in 1938. Sallie’s home served as the city library until the mid 1970s. The current 9,851 sq. ft. building was dedicated on December 15, 1975.